Blue and Yellow Kitchen

Friday, December 24, 2004

Chicken Pot Pie


I have always loved chicken pie. It is my ultimate comfort food. So for our Noche Buena, I decided to make Chicken Pastel, just so I can satisfy my craving. I originally wanted to make them and give them as gifts to friends (read the story here). I ended up making just two of 'em. One I gave to Mike, the other stayed behind for our dinner.

I was so excited while I was preparing the filling for the pies -- the kind of excitement children get as they tear up wrapping papers while opening gifts. I didn't have a recipe for this -- I just threw in all the good stuff I can think of. Didn't include mushrooms though because Mike can't have them. I added corn kernels, carrots, potatoes, onions, cream, cheese and the chicken of course. Put in some pepper and salt to taste. And since I love thyme with chicken, I added in some as well. I added a bit of flour too, to thicken the sauce up a bit.

Chose not to line the pie with a bottom crust, as I really didn't have time anymore. Besides, I always have a difficult time handling the crust. I placed the cooked filling in a Pyrex dish, and allowed it to cool a bit. After a few minutes, I placed the pie crust carefully on top of the filling, brushed egg wash over it, and placed it in the oven (425oF).

For the pie crust:
1 1/2 c all purpose flour (chilled)
1/2 c butter (cut into cubes)
1/4 t salt
3 T ice cold liquid

1. Cut butter into flour with pastry cutter. Or, if you don't have one, you can use your hands (as I did). I imagine that was how pie was made during the olden times. Dip your hands into the flour first to avoid melting the butter.

2. Sprinkle cold water, 1 T at a time, until dough holds together. Do no sprinkle too much water as this will toughen the crust.

3. Shape the dough into a disk and let rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. I personally like to leave it overnight, para sigurado.

4. After dough has rested, beat with rolling pin. Roll out till dough is 1/4" thick. Carefully place dough over filling.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home