Blue and Yellow Kitchen

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Well Behaved Almond Ice Cream


I remember my mom used to buy a can of powdered almond when we were younger. She would ask our yaya to mix them like ordinary powdered milk, and that would be our milk before bedtime. It was a yummy change from our usual Bear Brand milk in cans. Aside from the almond milk, we would also have almond cake for merienda, which was really almond jelly with the texture of maja mais.

I have tried this recipe before and my family liked it. But I wanted to make something pretty from the usual plain old almond ice cream. Picture above is the result of that experiment. :)

From Frozen Desserts , here's the recipe for well behaved vanilla ice cream. Well behaved because of the gelatin content. :) Use almond extract instead of vanilla for the almond flavor.

Ingredients
water -- 2T
gelatine -- 1T
milk -- 2 C
sugar -- 1/2 C + 1 T
pinch of salt
cream -- 2 C
vanilla extract -- 1 T (use almond instead)
** recipe makes 5 cups

1. Spoon water into medium sized bowl then sprink in gelatin, whisking constantly. In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil then remove from heat. Stir in sugar and salt. When sugar has dissolved, pour into the bowl containing gelatin, stirring all the while. Cover and leave to cool.

2. Finally, add cream and almond. Mixture is now ready to freeze.

** I absent mindedly left the gelatin mixture in the refrigerator for about 3 hours. When I came back, the mixture had already gelatinized. As a remedy, I put a small portion of the gelatin in the microwave and heated it. Heating will liquify the mixture. Of course, there were still small gelatin bits left in the heated mixture, which is why my ice cream's texture did not come out too well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home