Blue and Yellow Kitchen

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Beef stir-fry

 Posted by Hello


I was in the mood to cook last Sunday. I had grand thoughts of preparing a caldereta dish, the recipe of which I got from one magazine. Or tinolang manok. Or giniling with tofu. But I checked our freezer and we had no chicken or beef (for caldereta) left. We had a lot of sukiyaki cut beef though -- around 4 trays of them. Since I just wanted to cook that day, I just used whatever ingredients were available already. Plus, I needed to cook it quickly, since it was already quarter to 12pm by then. I originally wanted to use oyster sauce, but I felt that using char siu sauce would give the dish a different taste. Char siu sauce is the sauce used for the asado in Chinese restaurants. It's sweet and salty at the same time. I wanted to add in honey to the dish, but we didn't have any in our cupboard. You can add honey to this dish, which I think would go well with the char siu sauce.

This is a very easy to cook recipe, which needs minimum preparations. It can be topped on rice for dinner, or sandwiched between two wholewheat bread for lunch baon.

Ingredients:

1/2 onion, sliced into rings
1/4 kilo beef, sukiyaki cut
3-4 T Lee Kum Kee char siu sauce (adjust depending on your taste)
dash of chili pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil and saute onions until onions are translucent.

2. Add in beef and stir fry only until beef changes color.

3. Add in char siu sauce, chili pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

See, it's that easy. :)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home